When was the last time you tried to get through an entire day without asking Google for assistance or heading to the cloud to retrieve important documents? The truth is, it’s virtually impossible to go from morning to night without the internet. From a business perspective, it’s even more imperative. After all, the world of online interactions is now responsible for payment processing, logistics, marketing, accounting, and every other functional division of your company. It goes without saying that an internet outage—even one that’s very brief—can cost your company hours of wasted productivity. A single hour without email, access to your website, or the ability to interact with customers can force your employees to spend four times as long catching up when internet service is restored.
If the idea of this scenario has sent you into panic mode, rest assured that you do have other options; you don’t have to sit back and wait for an outage catastrophe to come crashing down!
Our team at Phoenix Internet provides secondary internet for two main reasons:
- We offer a small business, personalized alternative to huge internet corporations
- We provide backup internet service to companies that use other internet service providers, bridging problematic gaps when outages arise
Are you new to the idea of secondary internet service? Here are five things you need to know:
1. Secondary Internet Services Save You from Expensive Downtime
A 2016 study by the Ponemon Institute estimates the average cost of unplanned outages per minute rose from $5,617 in 2010 to $8,851 in 2016.
A 2015 study indicated North American Companies lose up to $700 billion each year because of IT-related outages. 78 percent of that was due to lost employee productivity. The remainder of that cost could be attributed to the following elements:
- Lost sales revenue
- Employee overtime costs
- IT recovery costs
- Unrecoverable data
- Supply chain problems
- Damage to brand reputation
- Customer dissatisfaction
- Turnover resulting from poor employee morale
2. Secondary Internet Service is Not a Hot Spot
Hot spots can be great when you’re on the go from one place to another, but they’re not really meant for regular use. Secondary internet service:
- Relies on the transference of information between two stationary data retrieval and processing points—a nearby tower and your home or office.
- Supports higher data rates, which translates to faster connections and speedier downloads
- Offers access to unlimited data
3. Secondary Internet Service Outdoes Other Internet Options
Every internet option has certain benefits, but Phoenix Internet outshines its competitors for several reasons.
- Phoenix Internet over DSL & cable modems – Doesn’t depend on telephone or cable TV infrastructure, so it can reach areas otherwise inaccessible by phone and cable companies
- Phoenix Internet over Satellite – Phoenix Internet uses land-based electromagnetic waves. These microwaves are intentionally built for short distances that max out at 14 miles. Satellite data has to travel almost a quarter of a million miles, leaving a lot of room for delays and errors in communication.
4. It Doesn’t Require Tons of Unsightly Wires and Equipment
Because our secondary internet service is wireless, you don’t have to worry about finding places to put wires or weird equipment that you don’t know what to do with. We use an antenna that doesn’t even weigh a whole pound and measures at 12″ x 3.5″.
5. It Doesn’t Require Special Software
The requirements are pretty simple, so you don’t need to worry about loading extra software onto your PC or bogging down your servers. The elements you need for secondary internet service are pretty standard in this day and age:
- A standard Ethernet Network Interface Card (NIC) — 10Base-T (Ethernet) and 100Base-T (Fast Ethernet) cards are both compatible
- Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol software
- A web browser
- Operating systems of Windows 95 or newer or MAC OS 8.5 or better
At Phoenix Internet, we like to do things a little differently. Our small business approach to the big world of the internet allows us to provide fast and reliable service via state-of-the-art technology and exceptional customer service. Ready to learn more? Reach out to our team today!